Monday, August 29, 2011

Is Obama really going to make teens do 50+ Hours of community service a year?

I skimmed through debates on why and why not Obama/Mccain should be president. Somewhere I read Obama will make Middle/High School Students do 50+ hours of community service a year.


Is this true or false?|||It seems like a way to further control people to me, give them another obligation to the government at an early age.|||If chidlren did some more volunteer work they would not be out there doing the stupid things SOME do and our country woul be a better place %26amp; children would appreciate or country and values I DO NOT think it is a way of controling people at all! I think it is a smart idea and shoud be done!

Report Abuse


|||HE BETTER NOT IM 14 AND I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR COMMUNITY SERVICE I REALLY DON'T. BESIDES I GET HOME FROM SKOOL AT 2 40 AND HAVE 15 HOURS OF HW A NIGHT.

Report Abuse


|||HE BETTER NOT IM 14 AND I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR COMMUNITY SERVICE I REALLY DON'T. BESIDES I GET HOME FROM SKOOL AT 2 40 AND HAVE 15 HOURS OF HW A NIGHT.

Report Abuse


|||yeah right... we can't even get blacks to get a job or take care of thier kids... on that subject Obama is only half black his farthers side and of course his dad wasn't married to his mom when they had him and his dad left them %26amp; he was raised by whites way m ore white than black huh?

Report Abuse


|||this sin't an issue of black or white. kids have other obligations in school. and forcing them to do community service is an infringement of every americans personal freedom. This isn't the CCCP Obama, it's America...

Report Abuse


|||How is volunteering wasting time, 50 hours in a year to help people out is nothing. I'm 17 and I don't believe it's a retarded idea, while I hate when I have to do garbage pick up and things like that and would hate doing many other things but I don't hate everything. It will look good on their resumes and could possibly help them decide what they want to do with their lives instead of wasting time in school "finding themselves" and never being able to decide. I found out what I wanted to do with my life finally and unlike many I won't get into it thinking I'll like it and hate it and work at McDonald's or some other job instead because I hate it.|||I think its a great idea. its about time students stopped looking for a handout and gave something back to their communty for a change besides Nintendo





If you have time to waste posting questions like this, then you have time to do some volunteering. Too many teens and adults for that matter have their hand out for something from the government but give nothing in return.





Volunteering is not a waste. Just look up what John F. Kennedy said during his speech. "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."|||It's not a bad idea, and I'd be curious how a middle school or high school kid doesn't have time? I'm currently a double major, Electrical Engineer / Middle East-Arabic studies, and an editor at my school newspaper. I still serve much more than 50 hours a year on community service projects. Oh I forgot to mention the USMC reserve part :)


Maybe it'll teach you guys some time management as well.


Cheers|||Several School Districts already have this requirement. Most kids volunteer through friends and family. But some, the more adventurous really get into it and it changes who they are, how they think, and how they view people.





If your already volunteering great, but wouldn't you like to see some of your class mates do something for others, be a little less self centered. |||I think its a great idea. I live in Canada (sp. Ontario) and it is mandatory to do 30 hours of community service to recieve your high school diploma. Honestly, its not that bad....it goes by pretty fast, you can get scholarships if you earned a lot, it keeps teens from being a bunch of lazy s'hits, and you can always stick it on your resume.





Its HARDLY a waste... grow up.|||Not that I've heard. I think he has a community service plan for people who opt to join in.





They could have taken that and misconstrued it. I really doubt he will force teenagers to do 50 hours of community service a year. He'd lose a lot of votes.|||Up here in BC (a province in the magical land of Canada), work experience or community hours are required for graduation from high school.





Its not that difficult. The only trouble is that here, they keep changing the requirments for graduation...|||According to Obama's Blueprints for Change (available at www.barackobama.com), the exchange for a $4000 tax credit for higher education for US students would be repaid with 100 hours of community service a year.|||The way I understood the idea behind the program was that any student that accepted Federal aid for college tuition would be obligated to do a certain amount of community service or owed time to teaching, the military, Americorps...etc|||i think it a good idea and i hope he does some schools already do this. i think it a great way to teach kids about community and how inportant it is to be part of a community.|||i think it it is a great idea. my old high school had requirements and it was actually fun (60 hours a year starting sophomore year) and i did over 300+ hours.....|||community service in exchange for money for college sounds like a win-win to me





nobody will be forced to do community service|||Why not? That's all Obama has on HIS resume. Look where it got him.





And as far as kids not having enough time, maybe you're right. Heaven forbid volunteering should cut into playing Wii games.|||true.





It will be a requirement to graduate.|||No that's 50 hours a week. |||yea true so vote mccain

No comments:

Post a Comment